Rachel's Vineyard Retreat May 31 - June 2
Respect Life Collection Grant Application
The Governor is putting a lot of energy into passing his extreme Reproductive Health Act.
It is important that we act now! Please consider the following initiatives:
1. Get the word out!. Please distribute the attached is a flyer which was created by the Archdiocese of New York. Also, there is a bulletin announcement below. More information and materials are available at the Catholic Conference website (http://www.nyscatholic.org/).
2. Write your legislators. You can use the Catholic Conference's Catholic Advocacy Network to contact your legislators about the bill: go to http://www.nyscatholic.org/ click on "Take Action".
3. Visit your legislators local district office. It would be helpful to have priests, medical personnel and women make these visits.
4. Write letters to the editor. Letters to newspapers can educate, shape opinions & influence legislators.
5. Use local media. Call in to your local radio talk & news shows to express your opinion on the bill.
6. Use social media. Use Facebook and Twitter (accessed through www.newyorkersforlife.org), to spread the word about this through your own social media contacts.
New Yorkers for Life Flyer
NEW POLL: New Yorkers Reject Abortion Bill
Bishop Terry LaValley, Bishop of Ogdensburg, along with Michael Hamilton, a parishioner and altar server at St. Alexander's in Morrisonville, lead the Plattsburgh March for Life held on Sunday, January 20th. Bishop LaValley was the keynote speaker for the event which began at the Newman Center and concluded at St. John's church. A crowd of 250 marched just days before the 40th Anniversary of the Roe v Wade Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion in our country.
Respect life grants given to groups across diocese
NYSCC Top 10 Reasons to Oppose NYS's Reproductive Health Act (RHA)
10. It moves New York State in the opposite direction of “safe, legal and rare.”
9. It would undermine maternity and prenatal care programs, which could be ruled “discriminatory” for favoring childbirth over abortion.
8. It could be used to mandate abortion coverage in all insurance plans.
7. It could compel Catholic Charities and Catholic schools to counsel and refer for abortion.
6. It could compel all hospitals, even Catholic hospitals, to allow abortions on premises.
5. It lifts the current age restriction on the purchase of the so-called “morning-after pill” at neighborhood drug stores, allowing girls as young as 11 and 12 to get the drugs without a doctor’s prescription or a parent’s knowledge.
4. It makes abortion immune to common-sense prudent regulations: parental notification for minors’ abortions, restrictions on taxpayer funding, informed consent or a waiting period for pregnant women.
3. By inserting a broad “health” exception into our law, it opens up third-trimester abortions for any reason at all, and invites late-term abortionists into New York State to set up shop to abort viable, fully formed babies.
2. By repealing the requirement in current law that only a licensed physician may perform an abortion, it endangers women’s lives.
1. New York is already the abortion capital of the nation, with 33% of pregnancies (40% in NYC) ending in abortion, as opposed to 19% nationally.
Stillbirth certificates now available
by Kathleen M. Gallagher
Losing a child — whether unborn, stillborn or live born — is undoubtedly the most painful and traumatic event a parent can endure. Now, finally, parents of stillborn children can find some comfort and healing for their heartache by obtaining a Certificate of Still Birth from the New York State Health Department.
It took more than eight years of political wrangling, with abortion advocates fearing the law might — God forbid — confer “personhood” onto the fetus, but now it’s official. As of March 21, 2012, these certificates are available for families who’ve lost a child to stillbirth, defined as “the unintended intrauterine death of a fetus that occurs after the clinical estimate of the 20th week of gestation.”
Information from the State Health Department on how families can apply for a certificate is here.
The actual application is here.
Even family members of still born children from many years ago are eligible for this certificate.
New York City has their own forms which must be used by parents who delivered a stillborn child in one of the five boroughs. The city application is here.
Please spread the word about the availability of these certificates, which will hopefully bring comfort to many who grieve the loss of a child.
Statement on court victory ordering New York State
to permit Choose Life license plates.
NYS Catholic Conference offers some background and our position about Choose Life license plates:
On Friday, January 20, 2012, the United States Department of Health and Human Services issued an unprecedented ruling that confirmed that virtually all private health plans will be required to include coverage for sterilizations and contraceptives, including abortion inducing drugs. The agency falsely characterizes these as "preventive services" as if pregnancy were a disease. It further stipulates that these "services" must be included in private health insurance plans without co-pays or other cost sharing. Never before has the federal government forced individuals and organizations to go out into the marketplace and buy a product that violates their conscience. This ruling will force Catholics to decide between violating their consciences and providing the basic right of health care. At issue is the constitutionally protected freedom that ensures respect for the conscience of Catholics and all other Americans. In this ruling, you and I were told that we can call ourselves Catholic, we just can't act like we are. I invite you to read Bishop LaValley's letter concerning this important matter. Please learn more about this issue and contact your elected representatives. Thank you for your help in defense of religious liberty and in support of the sanctity of human life. Bishop LaValley's Letter
HHS Bulletin Inserts from USCCB: Word PDF
" The gospel of Life is at the heart of Jesus' message.
Lovingly received day after day by the Church, it is
to be preached with dauntless fidelity as 'good news'
to the people of every age and culture."
[ The Gospel of Life - Blessed Pope John Paul II - 3/25/95 ]
Click here to read the North Country Catholic article.
***The Reproductive Health Act has been introduced in the Senate
by Senator Jeff Klein.****
PRAYER TO DEFUND PLANNED PARENTHOOD
Lord of Life and Truth,
Your Providence guides the course of history.
You have conquered death
And have made us the People of Life.
You call us to fight the evil of abortion
And the forces that promote it.
We therefore ask you to grant wisdom and mercy to our nation.
Give our government leaders the courage
To put an end to the funding
Of the largest abortion business in the world.
Give all of us the courage to insist
That public funding only be used
For the protection and promotion of life
Rather than for its destruction.
Give us hopeful hearts and joyful spirits
As we continue to proclaim, celebrate, and serve
The Gospel of Life.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.